Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Hooray for Italian wedding soup and fried ravioli!

Okay well, I didn't make morning glory muffins this weekend, but I cooked a fabulous dinner (if I do say so myself) consisting of Italian wedding soup and fried ravioli (both recipes courtesy Giada De Laurentis and Everyday Italian).

First up: Fried ravioli.


I hold a fairly strong belief that most everything is better fried. Why else do you think I love fairs? Fried Oreos, fried Snickers (mmm.. similar in taste to the Indonesian martabak), fried Twinkies, fried avocado, fried Coke, even -- which is what I should have gotten at the L.A. County Fair instead of that Krispy Kreme chicken sandwich (blech.. but more on that another time perhaps).

So when I tried this insanely simple recipe, I began to wonder why we hardly ever see fried ravioli on restaurant and fast food menus, or at least at fairs. I mean, they're incredibly easy to make and they're like Italian fries -- with marinara posing as ketchup.


* * *

Italian wedding soup: Another fabulous recipe. The meatballs are the star -- a mixture of beef and pork with onion, garlic, fresh Italian parsley and Parmigiano Reggiano? What's not to love? Just make sure you don't go blind from grating the onion -- ouch!

Also, I like pasta in my soup, so I boiled a cup of orzo (a little underdone) and added it right near the end.

No comments: