Thursday, February 7, 2008

Lent --> Best meal I've had at Wahoo's yet.

I take Lent as an opportunity (/excuse) to slightly curb my bad (but oh so good) eating habits for 40 days (when I don't slip) out of the year. My body's health shrieks, "THANK GOD," while my taste buds and love for all-things-food quip, "Dammit, is it this time of year again, already?"

But tasty foodventures can result from avoiding poultry and red meat on Fridays (and Ash Wednesday). One of the most obvious: more samplings of seafood. My dearest seafood. How I love thee.

Coming into Wahoo's Fish Taco today, I was expecting to order a standard blackened fish bowl, with rice and beans, pico de gallo -- you know, the usual Lenty food.

But hunger told me I had to get enchiladas. One fish enchilada and one shrimp enchilada, both swimming in "spicy green sauce," to be exact. And hunger get what hunger want. (Yes, I had to say it. And no, hunger didn't want a hot dog.)

By the way, for those of you who've never been to Wahoo's, the green sauce is a f-amazing creamy cilantro-lime dressing that's not really as hot as it claims, but it does have a little kick to it. I like to pour it on everything. And with enchiladas, melted cheddar floats on top for a bonus? HELLS YES.

As I mulled over the so-so black beans versus the so-so white beans, the cashier, in all his terrific genius, suggested all rice. Oh my gah! That's exactly what I wanted. DOUBLE hells yes.

All this resulted in what I believe to be my Wahoo's "recipe." Took me long enough (I found my Chipotle recipe on the third try). I wish I'd taken a photo; I didn't know this meal was going to be such a historic event.

Oh, and in case you're wondering, besides the whole "no-meat" rule on Fridays, I've given up soft drinks, chips and snacky things, and non-homemade confections.

No comments: